11.27.2017

Birdie's Birth Story

Here we are, the day before it all happened. I have been wanting to tell this story for weeks while it was fresh, but it has never felt fresh. It all felt like a blur. I am thankful for photos so I can remember bits of the day, but I can never describe the experience. All I know is that it was beautiful, and changed my whole life. So here we are, months later. I am watching Birdie play, and I still cant believe that I gave birth to her. This beautiful life.

On Thursday we went for my 39 week appointment. I had progressed a couple centimeters at this point. When my doctor checked me, it was so painful. Like I could have cried... or thrown up. It was bad.  She told me I was the same as last week and would see me at the 40 week appointment next week. Though I only wanted my membranes stripped if I was passed the due date, I later found out that she had done it and that is why it was so painful. I guess it's standard procedure, and she forgot that I requested for it not to be done.  I got home and ended up calling into work because I was hurting so much. I was having some cramping and started to lose my mucus plug. I rested and felt better, then that evening I started having contractions, but they fizzled out and I went to bed. I had sporadic contractions over the next two days, and felt really restless. We walked a good bit, and I tried to rest as much as I could. Saturday night, they started to get really consistent, and fizzled out again. Around 2 a.m., I woke up with contractions, and it was storming outside. I would try sleep between them and wake up whenever one would start. After a couple hours of that, I started timing them. At that point they were consistent, but far apart. I honestly thought that it would fizzle out again, so I let Jacob sleep. He woke up around 5 and was sure I was in labor. I was not at all convinced. I showered and got ready, and sat in our living room watching hours and hours of Parks and Rec. It was a good distraction.

For the next twelve hours, that is what we did. Jacob was the best doula around. I would have contractions, rest, walk around, sit on the birth ball, smell clary sage essential oil, and take showers when it got painful. That was the best way for me to cope. As we prepared for birth, I gave Jacob strict instructions to not even mention the hospital until I said I couldn't do it anymore. Around seven that evening, I reached the "can't do it" point. He had gotten the car packed that afternoon, we said goodbye to the dogs, and got in the car. It was the longest five minute ride ever. When we arrived, we got to a room in about 30 minutes and the nurse said I was already at 7.5 centimeters! The doctor came in shortly after and I was at 8 and she said it would be really soon. That was around 9 that night. I started thinking, "what a relief, she is almost here!" Well, that is not quite how it happened.

Around midnight, I had still not progressed. I hated the monitors, the lights in the room kept turning on and off, my blood pressure cuff kept beeping for no reason, and the bed was uncomfortable. I could no longer cope with my showers and move freely due to all of the monitors and rules.  I was just miserable and labor was stalled. I was still contracting like crazy, but it felt like it was all for nothing. I got extremely nauseous and started throwing up. Once that was under control, my doctor checked me again. At this point my water had still not broken and I was thinking that I would get to experience the much coveted en caul birth. My water broke while she checked me, but I really didn't speed things up too much. I labored for a few more hours. I would sleep (or maybe pass out, still not sure), and wake up again during contractions. It got pretty rough. I told Jacob I couldn't do it. And I really did not think that I could. He asked me if I was sure that I didn't want an epidural, but I had made it this far, and I was determined. Around 4 that morning, I was finally fully dilated. I was also exhausted. My doctor told me it was time to push... I knew I wasn't ready. I knew it with all my heart. But the exhaustion took over, and I agreed. They started prepping the room and getting ready. The next few moments were a  blur.

I started pushing, and suddenly I felt like I was good at it. Is that weird? I did though, I felt like I could do anything. A few minutes later, they said she was coming. It was a strange sensation of relief, but I can truthfully say I felt zero pain. They told me they could see her head, and to push with all I could with the next contractions. I did, and there she was. That moment of meeting the person I had known all along. It was the best thing that has ever happened. She was here. She was perfect.

"Birdie" Eva Elizabeth Patillo
May 22, 2017 at 5:03 am
7 pounds, 12 ounces